Job Title: Lead Database/Datamart Developer
Location: Chicago, Illinois
About This Role:
The lead database engineer's ability to self-direct, set goals, manage other engineers and meet aggressive deadlines is a key factor in the overall success of the product development organization. The lead database's primary job function is to analyze, design, develop, test, tune, and maintain new database software applications in support of the achievement of business requirements. This individual will lead in the designing and development of large database subsystems and coordinate, assign and review the work of other database engineers.
In addition, this individual will directly engage in design discussions, and demonstrate the ability to see the application from the user's point of view, at the subsystem level or higher.
What You'll Do in This Role:
- Play a hands-on lead developer role in a team responsible for the database platform behind comScore flagship audience and advertising products.
- Follow agile methodology (SCRUM) to gather and iterate on business requirements and to coordinate technical implementation with upstream and downstream teams.
- Lead the database and ETL development required for delivering new solutions to comScore clients.
- Optimize and refactor existing code to maximize its performance and maintainability.
- Investigate and address production issues, starting from immediate fix (“stop the bleeding”), through the root cause analysis and permanent resolution.
- Collaborate with DBA and Dev Ops teams to define, configure and support database infrastructure that enables achieving required scalability, fault-tolerance, and performance, while minimizing costs.
- Actively research new technologies, tools, and platforms and identify efficient and practical ways to utilize these technologies to add value to comScore products.
- Establish coding standards, follow and enforce already existing standards, lead and participate in peer code reviews.
- Contribute to the team development by providing your technical and functional expertise, embracing open communication and positive relationships within the team, and helping professional and personal growth or junior team members.
What You'll Need in This Role:
- 7+ years of development experience with MS SQL Server database technology stack.
- Strong background in MS SQL Server physical database design – partitioning and compression strategy, file group management/database file placement, managing indexes and statistics, row store vs column store indexes, etc.
- Excellent skills in developing and debugging complex T-SQL code.
- Strong detailed knowledge of the Hadoop ecosystem and specifically with HDFS, YARN, Map Reduce, Pig and Spark.
- Experience in developing processing pipelines in Apache Spark for data at rest and in motion(streaming).
- Experience with information retrieval using Spark a big plus.
- Should be able to investigate and optimize SparkSQL, Hive QL and other Map Reduce code.
- Experience with Hadoop, HDFS, Map Reduce and SQL on Hadoop services like Hive, Impala, Presto, Drill etc.
- Experienced in working with different file formats on HDFS like Apache Parquet, Apache ORC, TXT, CSV.
- Advanced performance optimization skills - query plan analysis, Profiler/Trace, Extended Events, DMVs, Query Store, etc.
- Experience with the scripting languages such as PowerShell or Python a plus.
- Development experience on AWS or AZURE for high availability products with a DevOps approach and an ability to optimize costs.
- Ability and drive to produce clean, modular, easily maintainable and expandable code.
- Need to be able and willing to respond to critical production issues with appropriate sense of urgency. In some cases, it may be necessary to respond outside of business hours to meet defined SLA and to maintain system stability/throughput.
- Sense of ownership, positive, “can do” attitude
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships within and across teams. Experience leading small team a plus.
comScore (NASDAQ: SCOR) is a trusted partner for planning, transacting and evaluating media across platforms. With a data footprint that combines digital, linear TV, over-the-top and theatrical viewership intelligence with advanced audience insights, comScore allows media buyers and sellers to quantify their multiscreen behavior and make business decisions with confidence. A proven leader in measuring digital and set-top box audiences and advertising at scale, comScore is the industry’s emerging, third-party source for reliable and comprehensive cross-platform measurement. To learn more about comScore, please visit comScore.com.
EEO Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.