Job Title: Director, Privacy Advocate
Location: Reston, VA
The ideal candidate for this role will possess a JD with an experienced data privacy background and knowledge and familiarity with compliance programs and implementation. This individual contributor will be comfortable working with both the strategic and tactical elements of the company’s privacy and compliance functions. This individual will work closely with the Senior Privacy Counsel supporting privacy and compliance efforts for comScore.
Additionally, this position oversees the development of relationships on behalf of comScore with anti-virus companies and requires someone with an ability to communicate and operate in conjunction with technical and operational personnel, privacy advocates, anti-virus companies, and legal staff.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Support Senior Privacy Counsel in:
- Providing consultation and support to business units and functions regarding privacy concepts, legal and regulatory requirements, information classification, best practices, and controls.
- Developing solutions to ensure compliance with all laws, regulations, and policies representing all aspects of the company’s global business operations to include its products, product development, data collection, software, data retention, transfer and deletion
- Conducting functional analysis of business processes involving the collection, processing or disclosure of personal information, identify issues and potential risks, coordinate the documentation of process improvements, development or resolution or mitigation plans, and recommend safeguards and controls.
- Monitoring, researching and analyzing existing, proposed and new laws, regulations and policies globally with respect to their present and future impact upon company operations.
- Managing and reviewing all comScore privacy policies; respond to customer, partner, vendor, third party, and consumer privacy and compliance inquiries.
- Establish and maintain high-level relationships with the major global anti-virus (AV) software vendors through direct outreach, industry conferences and other venues and contacts.
- Represent comScore’s interests as a market and media research leader for purposes of whitelisting our various research metering software, establishing appropriate relationships and contacts to receive and preview new comScore meter versions and resolving inadvertent AV flagging as expeditiously as possible.
- Work with the Panel and Technology teams to develop strategy and establish best practices regarding comScore recruitment and metering initiatives as they relate to maintaining compliance with privacy and security standards. Including:
- Review, complete and maintain various industry privacy compliance certifications to assist in achieving the above requirements
- Advise Panel and Technology teams on existing, proposed and new laws, regulations and policies globally related to market/media research panel recruiting practices and panel operations by country
- Provide oversight and review of Third Party Application Provider (TAP) partners and other recruiting methodologies for overall compliance
- Review TAP and other recruiting partner contracts for adherence to comScore privacy and security policies and procedures.
- JD from an accredited law school with strong academic record required; exception may be made to education requirement for a privacy and compliance professional with 12+ years of pertinent experience.
- Minimum of 5-6 years of legal experience with 3+ years demonstrated track record of increased responsibility in corporate privacy and compliance functions.
- Knowledge of, and experience with a variety of state, federal, and international privacy, security and/or data protection laws and regulations, as well as familiarity with readiness in meeting upcoming global data privacy laws, such as GDPR, CASL. Previous experience leading privacy and compliance initiatives required. Public company experience, in-house, and/or familiarity with software or big data preferred.
- Previous experience leading or advising multidisciplinary teams. Strong ability to work and communicate with others, identify and analyze issues and their broader implications for business; develop practical legal advice.
- Experience and comfort working in a fast-paced environment, self-starter, collaborator, well-organized, and solutions-driven with the ability to multi-task and manage a large volume of current priorities.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and the ability to advocate for a position while remaining open-minded to different, creative approaches to solutions.
About comScore: comScore is a leading cross-platform measurement company that measures audiences, brands and consumer behavior everywhere. Built on precision and innovation, comScore’s data footprint combines proprietary digital, TV and movie intelligence with vast demographic details to quantify consumers’ multiscreen behavior at massive scale. This approach helps media companies monetize their complete audiences and allows marketers to reach these audiences more effectively. With more than 3,200 clients and a global footprint in 70 countries, comScore is delivering the future of measurement. Shares of comScore stock are currently traded on the OTC Market (OTC:SCOR). For more information on comScore, please visit comscore.com.
EEO Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law