Job Title: Security Operations Analyst
Location: Reston, VA
About This Role:
The security operations analyst is a member of the corporate security team responsible for selecting, supporting, and using security operational technology that ensure incidents are promptly detected, investigated, and remediated. The security operations analyst collaborates with stakeholders within application development, infrastructure, and operations.
What You’ll Do:
- Perform security monitoring and administration of designated security technology platforms, such as firewall, endpoint protection (AV), Intrusion Detection/Prevention (IDS/IPS), Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM), Web Application Firewall (WAF).
- Perform operating systems, applications and network security device audits, in accordance with the defined policies, standards and procedures of the organization, as well as with industry best practices and vendor guidelines.
- Apply patches, remove or otherwise mitigate known control weaknesses, such as unnecessary services or applications or redundant user accounts, as a means of hardening systems in accordance with security policies and standards.
- Perform threat and vulnerability assessments, in some cases followed by appropriate remedial action, to ensure that systems are protected from known and potential threats and are free from known vulnerabilities.
- Locate and repair security problems and failures.
- Collate security incident and event data to produce monthly exception and management reports.
- Report unresolved network/security exposures, misuse of resources, or noncompliance situations using defined escalation processes.
- Assist and train junior team members in the use of security tools, the preparation of security reports/metrics and the resolution of security issues.
- Research, recommend, evaluate and implement information security solutions that identify and/or protect against potential threats, and respond to security violations.
- Collaborate with comScore's IT department and members of the corporate security team to identify, select and implement technical controls or rollout security technologies.
- Develop standard operating procedures to support security infrastructure, investigate and respond to incidents.
Additional Operational Duties:
- Event Management/SIEM Management Respond to and, where appropriate, resolve or escalate reported security incidents.
- Monitor threat intelligence, system logs, SIEM tools and network traffic for unusual or suspicious activity. Interpret such activity and make recommendations for resolution.
- Investigate and resolve security violations by providing postmortem analysis to illuminate the issues and possible solutions.
- Infrastructure Protection Participate in infrastructure projects to develop, plan, and implement specifications for network and distributed system security technologies in support of key information systems.
- Assist in the management of firewalls, intrusion detection systems, switches and routers.
- Download and test new security software and/or technologies.
- Support data encryption deployments, including key management.
- Security Engineering Research, evaluate, design, tests, recommend and plans the implementation of new or updated information security technologies.
- Develop a common set of security tools.
- Defines operational parameters for their use and conduct reviews of tool output.
- Support information security architectural requirements. Maintain security/network architecture diagrams.
- Participate in information security and infrastructure working groups.
- Risk and Control Assessment Implement or coordinate remediation required by audits, and document exceptions as necessary.
- Threat and Vulnerability Management Monitor security vulnerability information from vendors and third parties.
- Research threats and vulnerabilities and, where appropriate, act to mitigate threats and remediate vulnerabilities.
- Perform system and application vulnerability and penetration testing.
- Recommend, schedule and/or apply fixes, security patches and any other measures required in the event of a security breach.
- Compliance & Audit Support Participates compliance reviews, as requested by internal or external auditors.
- Develop and support e-discovery processes.
- Program Support Collaborate on the creation of business cases, roadmap, delivery plans.
- Gather operational statistics to feed program metrics.
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor's degree in information systems or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 3 years' IT security or network security experience.
- Industry Certifications (e.g. CISSP, SANS, CompTIA/Security+/Linux+, CISA, MCSE, RHSE) or willingness to obtain a certification within one year of start date.
- Technical Competency Knowledge of information security principles, including risk assessment and management, threat and vulnerability management, incident response, and identity and access management.
- Technical proficiency with security-related systems and applications, especially Endpoint Protection (AV), Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR), Intrusion Detection/Response (IDS/IPS), Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM), Web Application Firewall (WAF), DOS prevention capabilities.
- Experience in pen-testing and application security testing.
- Experience in developing, documenting and maintaining security procedures.
- Knowledge of network infrastructure, including routers, switches, firewalls, and associated network protocols and concepts.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems' software, protocols and standards.
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP and network administration/protocols.
- Experience with common information security management frameworks, such as ISO 2700x and the ITIL and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) frameworks.
- Excellent technical knowledge of mainstream operating systems and a wide range of security technologies, such as firewalls (e.g. Cisco, Juniper, Palo Alto Networks), vulnerability scanners (e.g. Nessus, Tenable, Qualys), anti-malware solutions, SIEM (e.g. LogRhythm), intrusion detection and prevention, identity and access management (IAM) systems, and desktop security tools.
- Experience in developing, documenting and maintaining security procedures.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to enable effective security incident and problem resolution. Proven ability to work under stress in emergencies, with the flexibility to handle multiple high-pressure situations simultaneously.
- Ability to work well under minimal supervision.
- Strong team-oriented interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface effectively with a broad range of people and roles, including vendors and IT-business personnel.
- Strong customer/client focus, with the ability to manage expectations appropriately, provide a superior customer/client experience and build long-term relationships.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
About comScore: At comScore, we’re pioneering the future of cross-platform media measurement, arming organizations with the insights they need to make decisions with confidence. Central to this aim are our people who work together to simplify the complex on behalf of our clients & partners. Though our roles and skills are varied, we’re united by our commitment to five underlying values: Integrity, Velocity, Accountability, Teamwork, and Servant Leadership. If you’re motivated by big challenges and interested in helping some of the largest and most important media properties and brands navigate the future of media, we’d love to hear from you.
comScore (NASDAQ: SCOR) is a trusted partner for planning, transacting and evaluating media across platforms. With a data footprint that combines digital, linear TV, over-the-top and theatrical viewership intelligence with advanced audience insights, comScore allows media buyers and sellers to quantify their multiscreen behavior and make business decisions with confidence. A proven leader in measuring digital and set-top box audiences and advertising at scale, comScore is the industry’s emerging, third-party source for reliable and comprehensive cross-platform measurement. To learn more about comScore, please visit comScore.com.
EEO Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To comply with federal law, comScore participates in E-Verify. Successful candidates must pass the E-Verify process after hire.