About this role:
The Data Scientist is part of the Statistical Operations and Data Science team that provides internal services to building and maintaining the data science methodologies comprising comScore’s projection system for national television, local television, OnDemand, and digital viewership in a cross-platform measurement service. This position is expected to have a particularly significant role in comScore’s measurement of Linear Television.
In this role, the Data Scientist will work closely with other members of the Statistical Operations and Data Science team to work with large amounts of tune-level linear television data to build algorithms, tools, and custom projection solutions for precise cross-platform measurement using large-scale data sets in a fast-paced business environment. The Data Scientist will investigate and diagnose potential internally- and externally-facing issues, and design technology improvements to the projection system to improve the way that supports comScore leading cross-platform measurement products. This position will require working across other functional teams to meet the internal and external demands of the business.
What you’ll do:
- Independently identify appropriate data science techniques and methodologies that will be used to support comScore’s cross-platform measurement products, and answer technical and business questions.
- Build algorithms, tools, custom solutions, and new technologies from diverse and large-scale data sets to enhance comScore’s measurement products, or contribute to new products.
- Maintain existing algorithms, tools, solutions, and methodologies contributing to comScore’s existing measurement products.
- Build custom solutions to meet internal and client needs for cross-platform measurement.
- Work closely with other functional teams, including Software Engineering, Product Management, Data Operations, Client Accounts Managers, and Sales Teams to develop and maintain the methodologies contributing to comScore’s cross-platform measurement services.
- Apply critical thinking to analyze process and data anomalies, field client inquiries, and diagnose problems and data issues. These tasks will include working with Software Engineers, Product Managers, Account Managers, Sales Managers, and Data Operations Analysts.
- Summarize and visualize conclusions from large-scale data sets to support the decision making of internal business stakeholders using SAS, Excel, R, Python and other tools.
- Communicate findings and results into measures of business impact.
- Evaluate and confirm the integrity of large source data sets. Be responsible for quality control and documentation of analysis and modeling to ensure on-time and accurate projection deliverables.
- Manipulate, analyze, and validate large data sets using SAS and SQL analytical software, and extract quantitative and qualitative findings from large data sets.
- Creatively solve tactical and strategic problems, bringing new approaches to management.
- Ownership of routine tasks, ensuring all steps are completed within expected project deadlines with little supervision.
What you’ll need:
- Requires a BA/BS in Statistics, Mathematics, or related field; Master’s or Ph.D. degree preferred. 2-4 years of relevant data science experience; comScore or other media measurement experience can be included.
- Experience in building data science methodologies and custom data solutions for quantitative data measurement.
- General familiarity with media industry and practices (theatrical, television, home entertainment, advertising, cross-platform, etc.); existing background in media, television, or cross-platform measurement services preferred. Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Experience in data analysis and problem solving with large amounts of data; strong knowledge of SAS and SQL programming preferred.
- Experience with modern data science stacks such as Python (numpy, pandas, matplotlib, scikit-learn), R (dplyr, ggplot2, caret, rmarkdown, & shiny) and Git for data manipulation, data mining, statistical modelling, machine learning, data visualization, dynamic reporting and code version control preferred. Experience with Unix-like operating systems and corresponding commands, utilities and shell scripting preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate findings to stakeholders and document project steps in detail.
- Ability to work individually, as well as partner with small and large teams of other Data Scientists during all stages of projects, including planning and execution.
- Ability to independently complete multiple simultaneous project tasks with little supervision.
At comScore, we’re pioneering the future of cross-platform media measurement, arming organizations with the insights they need to make decisions with confidence. Central to this aim are our people who work together to simplify the complex on behalf of our clients & partners. Though our roles and skills are varied, we’re united by our commitment to five underlying values: Integrity, Velocity, Accountability, Teamwork, and Servant Leadership. If you’re motivated by big challenges and interested in helping some of the largest and most important media properties and brands navigate the future of media, we’d love to hear from you.
comScore (NASDAQ: SCOR) is a trusted partner for planning, transacting and evaluating media across platforms. With a data footprint that combines digital, linear TV, over-the-top and theatrical viewership intelligence with advanced audience insights, comScore allows media buyers and sellers to quantify their multiscreen behavior and make business decisions with confidence. A proven leader in measuring digital and set-top box audiences and advertising at scale, comScore is the industry’s emerging, third-party source for reliable and comprehensive cross-platform measurement. To learn more about comScore, please visit comScore.com.
EEO Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To comply with federal law, comScore participates in E-Verify. Successful candidates must pass the E-Verify process after hire.
At this time, comScore will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.